Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Asparagus and Peas: Take Two

Since I had a few leftover asparagus spears and a handful of peas from the garden, I tossed them with some homemade gnocchi Matt and I made a few weeks ago, along with some green garlic pesto I made (recipe below).

The pesto was very yummy, but VERY garlicky - I might try blanching the garlic greens next time). This recipe is approximately what I did.

Green Garlic Pesto
4-6 stalks of green garlic
1/4 cup pine nuts or walnuts
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tbs. warm water
1/4 cup graetd shredded parmesan cheese
s & p

Finely chop green garlic (green parts only), rinand rinse and pat dry. In a blender or food processor, pulse pine nuts to chop. Add green garlic and process, until bright green and smooth. With blending, drizzle in olive oil and warm water until desired consistency is reached. Pulse in reserved pine nuts and cheese. Taste and season with salt amd pepper.

1 comment:

AJM said...

I always underestimate green garlic too. It doesn't LOOK like garlic so I always throw in a tad extra and then get blown away. J still has nightmares about the Green Garlic Frittata Incident of March 2008.