Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Asparagus and Peas: Take One

Asparagus and peas are two of the best offerings Springtime has. We had some peas (and baby spinach) in the garden and I picked up some gorgeous asparagus at the Farmers Market and combined them with farro, my new favorite grain. Simple, delcious, and so springy...

Farro Salad with Green Spring Vegetables

1 cup farro (my new ingredient of the week)
1 cup asparagus spears, cut into 1-inch lengths
1 cup fresh peas (frozen would work, too)
large handful fresh baby spinach
1 bunch scallions, chopped
juice of one lemon
zest of half of the lemon
2 Tablespoons olive oil
s & p

Prepare farro following package instructions. 2 minutes before cooking time ends, add asparagus, peas and baby spinach. Drain all and rinse with cold water. Add remaining ingredients, stir and season with salt and pepper. Chill in refrigerator and serve at room tempature or cold. Great accompaniment to any springtime meal!

3 comments:

AJM said...

This recipe is classic Raish: fresh, simple, delicious! I like farro too, but I can't find it for a reasonable price here, so I have switched to pearl barley or bulgur wheat. $8/lb seems ridiculous for a grain, and the fact that they sell millet for $6/lb doesn't make me trust their value. Have you tried making farotto (farro risotto)?

Keeper of the Home said...

This looks delicious!

Andrea Meyers said...

That looks so delicious. I haven't tried farro, but we use bulgur and pearl barley regularly. I like the combination of the asparagus, peas, and spinach. Welcome to Grow Your Own!