Wednesday, February 13, 2008

My Early Valentine

Since I love to go out to eat so much, I am always looking for excuses to do so. And Valentine's Day would seem like an easy one. However, in my mind, there are a million reasons why it's not a good idea to go out to a restaurant on Valentine's Day...

Reasons not to go out to eat on Valentine's Day:

1. crowded and loud (despite attempts to create a romantic atmosphere)
2. long wait times (even though you had a reservation)
3. Valentine's Day "specials" (the kitchen makes special new untested dishes on one of the busiest nights of the year)
4. overpriced prix fixe menus (less choice, more money)
5. grumpy servers (I know because I was one)
6. rushed service ("turn" and burn")

That said, my sweetie and I decided to go out on the Tuesday before the big day. We had a lovely meal, complete with a 1/2 off bottle of wine (thank you, Tuesday) at what I consider downtown Novato's nicest "special occassion" place, Kitchen. Our server was helpful, (but kept out of our hair), the food was quite good, and I really enjoyed the Pinot from Monterey County. The highlight of my meal was a radicchio salad with fried artichoke hearts and manchego cheese. (I think I might try making that sometime...) And afterwards, my Valentine and I walked home, hand and hand. Have a Happy Valentine's Day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwww, that is too cute. I think my guy and I will have to follow suit and try KITCHEN. Looks lovely. I liked this post - it had a nice storytelling element to it, which I enjoy.

Sarah said...

just a note - Kitchen closed and has been replaced by an Italian resturant