Monday, September 21, 2009

Tomatoes (yes, again)

I know, I know...you're probably tired of hearing about our garden tomatoes. But they're not gonna last too much longer, so here's another post on the tomato theme.

We finally got to the theater to see Julie and Julia. It's a movie all about food, blogging and Julia Child, so it's right up my alley. There were many gorgeous dishes in the movie, but there was one that I was still thinking about after leaving the theater. It was a simple bruschetta that the character Julie made but made with - you guessed it - fresh garden tomatoes and a little butter. I tossed together fresh chopped tomatoes, garden basil, a little garlic, olive oil and salt and pepper and loaded it onto thick slices of french bread that had been toasted in pan with a little melted butter. I think this is my new favorite tomato preparation. Seriously, I could eat this every day.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Butter in bruschetta!!! The Italian in me just died a little inside. Only extra virgin olive oil my friend :) I bet your tomatoes are good though. I want to see that movie too; it's debuting during the film festival here.

VA said...

Love this simple recipe this weekend.. but my dish doesn't look as nice as the picture.. and I think you need to get a second career as a food styler..