Monday, February 9, 2009

Quiche

I can't really remember if I ever made quiche before last week, but now that I know how easy it is - I'm sure I'll be making it again very soon. Also, you can serve it at any temperature and for any meal.

Basically, quiche is made up of crust, cheese, filling, and custard. The great thing about making quiche is that you can use whatever kind of cheese, whatever kind of filling you have (a great way to use leftover cooked vegetables) and you can use a store bought crust or homemade (I'll share my new favorite whole wheat-flecked crust recipe soon).

1. Preheat oven to 375 F. (For a crisper crust you can pre-bake the crust for 10-15 minutes while you are preparing the filling)
2. Sprinkle some shredded cheese in the bottom of the crust (I used about one handful)
3. Add filling (I sauteed leeks and mushrooms from the farmers market, then added some fresh baby spinach)
4. Beat together 3 - 4 eggs and 1 - 1 1/4 cups milk and pour over filling (depending on what size your pan is, you may need more or less liquid).
5. Bake 35-40 minutes or until just set.

My leek, mushroom and spinach combo was great, but feel free to use whatever you have on hand. Here are some ideas:

swiss cheese + onions + bacon, cooked and crumbled (this is the classic Quiche Lorraine)
feta cheese + sauteed spinach & garlic
pepper jack + leftover fajita veggies
cheddar + asparagus
mozzarella + sliced tomatoes + sausage, cooked and crumbled
jack cheese + sauteed mushrooms

1 comment:

AJM said...

Mmm, quiche. I like making mini quiches in a muffin pan on the weekend. They are a good quick breakfast to microwave for 30 seconds on the way out the door in the morning. I go crustless, but you could probably cut some puff pastry or rolled out pie dough scraps. Looking forward to this "wheat flecked" crust recipe...:)