Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Soup #2: Chicken-Free Chicken Noodle

MO kept talking about this wonderful chicken soup with homemade noodles that our friend Suzanne made years ago. I figures we could try a chicken-free chicken noodle soup, so I called Suzanne for the recipe: 2 cups flour, 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 2 Tablespoons of water. It sounded easy.

So, I made a basic vegetable soup, using my homemade veggie broth. First I sauteed some finely chopped onions and garlic with thyme and sage (your typical chicken soup herbs), then I added the broth and carrots, celery, cauliflower and peas (any of your favorite soup veggies would do).

Ok, back to the noodles...
We mixed together the ingredients (MO's hands got very sticky) and rolled it out as thin as we could get it. We sliced it into strips about 1/3 inch wide and dropped the noodles into boiling water for about 10 minutes. (You can also boil the noodles directly in the soup, but I was afraid of over cooking my veggies). When the veggies were still a bit firm, we added the hot cooked noodles and let the whole thing simmer for about 5 minutes before serving. It was awesome. Who needs chicken anyway? The best part of this soup was the noodles - just a bit chewy and very slurpy and messy. Yum!

No comments: